Louis Weather Radar
Warren County EMA
Warren County COAD
Warren County EMA
thunder roars, go indoors" because no place outside
is safe when lightning is in the area. We want everyone to stay
indoors until 30 minutes have passed after they hear the last clap
Summary of Lightning Safety Tips for Inside the Home
- Avoid contact with corded phones
- Avoid contact with electrical equipment or cords. If you plan
to unplug any electronic equipment, do so well before the storm
- Avoid contact with plumbing. Do not wash your hands, do not
take a shower, do not wash dishes, and do not do laundry.
- Stay away from windows and doors, and stay off porches.
- Do not lie on concrete floors and do not lean against concrete
The following are guidelines for what you should do if a
thunderstorm is likely in your area:
- Postpone outdoor activities.
- Get inside a home, building, or hard top automobile (not a
convertible). Although you may be injured if lightning strikes
your car, you are much safer inside a vehicle than outside.
- Remember, rubber-soled shoes and rubber tires provide NO protection
from lightning. However, the steel frame of a hard-topped vehicle
provides increased protection if you are not touching metal.
- Secure outdoor objects that could blow away or cause damage.
- Shut windows and secure outside doors. Close window blinds,
shades, or curtains.
- Avoid showering or bathing. Plumbing and bathroom fixtures
can conduct electricity.
- Use a corded telephone only for emergencies. Cordless and cellular
telephones are safe to use.
- Unplug appliances and other electrical items such as computers
and turn off air conditioners. Power surges from lightning can
cause serious damage.
- Use your battery-operated NOAA Weather Radio for updates from
Avoid the following:
- Natural lightning rods such as a tall, isolated tree in an
- Hilltops, open fields, the beach, or a boat on the water.
- Isolated sheds or other small structures in open areas.
- Anything metal—tractors, farm equipment, motorcycles,
golf carts, golf clubs, and bicycles